Everything You Need to Know About Edmonton Kitchen Renovations
To get a lot out of your kitchen design, you also have to put a lot into it. At Jostar Interiors, we have outlined everything you need to know about a kitchen renovation to help you take on your next Edmonton interior design project, from start to finish.
It’s normal for home renovations in Edmonton to seem intimidating, so we’d like to make it easier for you. Knowing and following an organized process will take you through all of the steps to find kitchen renovation success. Follow along for expert tips and designer advice to help you learn everything you need to know before you get started, and as you move through the process of your next kitchen renovation project.
The Kitchen Renovation Process from Start to Finish
Although it may seem daunting, the kitchen renovation process is a process Jostar is more than familiar with, and happy to guide you through. To begin your own kitchen renovation, you’ll first need to identify these four key elements:
- Research and Inspiration Resources
- A Feasible Budget
- Your Kitchen Renovation Plans
- A Right-Fit Designer (Trust us, they exist!)
Next, we’ll identify how these elements come into play when kitchen renovations in Edmonton really come together.
1. Gather your research and check out your existing space.
If you haven’t already, you’ll want to research interior design ideas and the
latest trends to spark kitchen design inspiration. It’s all the little details, skillfully coordinated, that will make a huge impact on the overall feel and function of your new kitchen design. Do you need more storage? Easier-to-clean surfaces? More prep space? These are all problems that kitchen renovations can fix, and asking yourself what you really need will help you hone in on the little details that will take your kitchen from great to outstanding.
Your inspiration may come from outside of your existing kitchen, but some of the best renovation research comes from identifying elements that already work in your existing kitchen design. This will save you time and money and help you keep what is inherently beneficial about your current kitchen. It is important to look at your space as objectively as you can to make sure your dream kitchen is feasible in your existing space.
Check out a few of our favourite blog posts to kick-start your renovation research:
2. Determine your budget. Once you’ve gathered all of your research and inspiration, which we’re sure you have if you’re even considering a kitchen renovation, you will need to think about the bottom line. Determining your renovation budget is key before you engage with any contractors - it will likely be one of the first questions they ask.
3.Get organized. Once you’ve gathered your kitchen inspiration, and determined your renovation budget, it’s time to get serious about your renovation plans and details. If you haven’t already, check out the complete Kitchen Renovation Workbook from our experts at Jostar to help you determine how to get started on your new kitchen design in Edmonton. This is where you’ll find questions to help you identify exactly what you’ll need to make your renovation a reality. You’ll get advice on setting a realistic kitchen renovation budget and timeline, as well as details you may not have thought of such as appliance specifications and accessible walkways. There’s also room for notes and thoughts to help you organize your ideas and keep all your plans together. If this sounds right for you, you can download the Jostar Kitchen Renovation Workbook here:
4.Bring your ideas and plans to the right designer. A this point, you’ll have a dream kitchen in mind, an idea of a feasible renovation budget, and a more organized sense for all of the applicable considerations that will combine to make your upcoming kitchen renovation a reality. Unless you’re doing all of the renovations and design yourself, this is where you can let the experts step in and bring the plans for your new kitchen design to life. An interior designer is a great resource to help you address concerns and troubleshoot solutions; they’ve been working with kitchen design in Edmonton for a long time, so they will have first-hand knowledge and advice to make your kitchen feel bigger, brighter, and better, and to ensure there are no surprises along the way.
Even if you’re confident in your ability to manage the contractors,
it’s helpful to know how designers can help, so that you’re keeping the process as stress free as possible. We encourage you to look around and find someone that really “clicks” with you. The client-designer relationship is extremely important, so it’s a good idea to set high standards when searching for someone to bring your dreams to life. You want someone that will understand your style and be able to anticipate what will be best for you. You also need someone who will work with you to preserve that original brick wall
in your space that you love, but who will also tell you all-over neon paint isn’t a good idea. The right designer not only makes your life easier; they can also make it better by suggesting smart tweaks to your design plans and even making cost-saving suggestions.
It’s easy to get overwhelmed, but your designer will know what to expect and how to keep tabs on all the moving parts. At this stage, be honest! You’re the one that’s going to live in your kitchen, so it’s important to feel completely confident in your plan. It’s okay to change your mind. In fact, you’re more likely than not to make several changes along the way, so the more flexible you are, the better. If you’re ready and organized, you might want to talk to one of our experts at Jostar, and book a consultation, today!
5. Give it time and watch your kitchen transform. This is when demolition takes place. During your renovation project, there will also be a team sorting out your plumbing, your cabinetry, your flooring, painting your walls, laying the tiles in your backsplash, and even hanging new lighting and window coverings. Soon, you’ll be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel and all your hard work taking shape. The anticipation during this phase is at an all-time high, and you’ll be eager for your kitchen renovations to be complete. Change is good! The specific directions for your renovation will depend on your unique project, but real, tangible changes will be happening, and depending on the scale of your Edmonton interior design project, you may have to stay out of your kitchen for a few days or weeks.
6. Adjust as you go. Another important note is to keep evaluating your plans and your project as you go to make sure nothing is missed or left behind. This is where it helps to talk to others that have completed kitchen renovations and gain as much insight as you can to learn what to expect once you’ve prepped all the ingredients for your renovation. When all of your ideas start to come together, this is where you’ll make adjustments if necessary and validate the feasibility of each component of your home decor and renovation plan. The best renovations maximize: maximize your kitchen space, maximize your natural light, and maximize your storage capacity. Your new kitchen should do more for you, in terms of both visual appeal and practical function.
7.Add your own personal touches. As the old parts of your kitchen disappear, you’ll be getting excited to cook in your dream kitchen, and settle into your new space. Now is the time to go shopping for new decorations, or to break out those ‘one of a kind collector items’ to display. While your kitchen is “in the oven”, you can brainstorm how you’ll live in your space and look into things like tips and tricks to make a small kitchen feel bigger or to choose the best seating arrangement.
Your Newly Renovated Kitchen is Ready!
Once you make here, you can host your first dinner party, share before and after photos on social media, and settle in to your new space. Kitchen renovations can also significantly boost the value of your property, so you’ll enjoy the benefits of your renovation down the line, even after you move on to another home.
Enjoying is the most important step, and hearing from happy clients is the best part of our job at Jostar Interiors. We’re here to help with every phase of your Edmonton kitchen renovation.